Monday 3 August 2015

Extension Project: D.O.C Design

In extension we are learning about biodiversity. Mrs Lagitupu (Extension Teacher) has set us a task to come up with a project to protect endangered species. Here is a post that includes my Ideas & Planning, SketchUp Designs and Reflection.

Ideas & Planning:
Here is a list with some of my ideas:
  • Bird Feeder - durable, waterproof, how birds would know to go there?
  • Safe place away from their predators
  • Trap? …. pressure plates
  • Shelter
  • food - nutritious
  • Shape & Size of design
  • Innovativeness
  • Cost efficient

SketchUp Designs:
Bird Feeder Design One & Two:
I created this bird feeder to help protect endangered birds by providing a safe place for them to eat nutritious seeds. The type of wood I would use is Cedar as it lasts for years and can handle harsh weather conditions. However the downside to using this wood is the expensive cost.

From the first design I extended the roof to provide more shelter. I also shortened the platform and lowered the sides so that only small birds could enter the bird feeder.

These designs are durable, safe and waterproof.


Rat Trap Design One & Two:
This pest trap is helpful for the endangered species. It’s designed to lure pests and drown them. Negatives about this sketch is you have to check the trap daily so you can get rid of the pest you find. One interesting thing is it camouflages into the environment.

From the first design I have added a transparent lid to prevent birds eating the food and rain entering. It is also easy to check if there are pests as the lid is see-through and also lightweight. Replacing the rolling pin with a plastic strip was better as this would be more harder for the pest to reach the food and survive. I also added a ladder and a small hole so that only a rat could climb and enter the trap.

These designs are durable, safe and cost effective.
   

Reflection For Bird Feeder Designs:
Evaluate the effectiveness of your design:
I would rate my design 7/10 for effectiveness because I think it would work but I’m not sure as I haven’t actually made the model and used it.

Predict how your product will help to protect an endangered species:
I predict that my bird feeder will help to protect Stitchbirds by feeding them easily, daily and nutritionally.

Reflection For Rat Trap Designs:
Evaluate the effectiveness of your design:
I would rate my design 8/10 for effectiveness as it is durable, safe and cost efficient.

Predict how your product will help to protect an endangered species:
I predict that my rat trap will lure pests and drown them making the environment safer for endangered species.

No comments:

Post a Comment